Saturday, October 16, 2010

5-YR OLD BOY PREFERS DRESSES & JEWELRY-- INSPIRES MOM TO WRITE "MY PRINCESS BOY" TO PROMOTE ANTI-BULLYING... (VIDEO)

Little Dyson is only 5 but he's got his mind made up about wearing dresses and jewelry, and his parents are good with that. Their story is interesting because it's rare, especially for a Black father (sorry, it's true!), to support his young son's feminine ways. His mother was inspired to write the book, "My Princess Boy"-- a much needed effort to promote anti-bullying. It's a story about unconditional love and allowing a child to express himself freely, without consequence and in-house backlash. It's an example of the way the world should be. We encourage you to watch Dyson and his mom, Cheryl, interview on "New Day Northwest", a Seattle talk show (vid below). His big brother has some very encouraging words as well. Darling, actually. They also talk about how accepting his teachers, classmates, and school are of his preferred way of dress. *sniffle* It's such a beautiful thing. Pop the Trunk for that and more...

Little Dyson


Via Clutch Mag:

Dyson says, “I like to dress up in different kinda of clothes, and jewelry.” Cheryl reveals she first became aware that her son was fond of women’s apparel while picking him up at day care. Dyson was wearing a red sequin dress and pink heels. Dyson’s mother admits that she was initially uncomfortable, and said she went shopping for boy’s clothes and Kung Fu gear to place in the dress up closet at Dyson’s daycare. The next time she picked Dyson up, Cheryl says he had on a yellow dress.

Cheryl is not the only one on board with Dyson’s way of expressing himself—the child’s father is 100 percent supportive of Dyson’s love for dresses and jewelry as well.

Dyson’s father, Dean Kilodavis, says, “I’m fine with it. I just want him to be happy and healthy.” Dean continues, “In the end, when he’s grown up, I want him to be able to say that no matter what he chooses, my parents were supportive of me.” Dean says Dyson knows he has a sanctuary at home.
The support for Dyson’s desire to be a princess doesn’t end with his family–Dyson’s school also accepts him, thanks to his teacher. The entire school was given notice by the teacher about Dyson’s wish to be a princess for Halloween. Dyson’s teacher shares that there was no bullying, some students even dressed in solidarity with Dyson by wearing ballet dresses.

Cheryl hopes her new My Princess Boy book will further promote anti-bullying.



Source

2 comments:

  1. Very cool of his mom to write this book. His brother and father are also amazing. If the whole world would take heed we as a people would be okay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm happy if they are happy. That's really all I can say. Other than that...I am not sure. Of course you want your kid to be healthy and happy. If he happens to want to wear dresses and be a fairy or princess or whatever...I personally am not at all sure how I would deal with that challenge other than say I'd have to love my child. Supportive of his preferences...I'm not so sure I could say that I would be that...honestly. I might therapy or something to deal with that. Real talk. But I watched the entire video. What I did get out of it though is the way that everyone in Dyson's family cast away what they may have been feeling for the sake of their brother/son's happiness. Although I found that noble...I found it no less disturbing. Really.

    ReplyDelete